Swedish melodic death metal pioneers AT THE GATES release their first single, “Spectre of Extinction”, off their forthcoming album The Nightmare Of Being out July 2nd via Century Media Records.
Check out the epic opening track, which features a guest lead-guitar appearance by King Diamond guitarist Andy La Rocque, via the album pre-order link HERE. Fans can tune in to the YouTube premiere of the video for “Spectre of Extinction” today, April 30th at 12PM ET/9AM PT.
Additionally, the YouTube premiere will include a live chat with AT THE GATES vocalist, Tomas Lindberg Redant. Tune in to the video premiere, directed by Patric Ullaeus / www.rEvolver.se (Arch Enemy, In Flames, Dimmu Borgir, etc.), HERE.
Tomas Lindberg Redant states, “It is always very hard to choose which song to release to the public first, especially with this album having so many layers and textures.
We did feel, however, that this, the opening track of the record, represented the overall feel of the album. It has the musical depths that you would expect from an AT THE GATES track, and still carries that intensity and urgency that we have always tried to get across with our music.
For the video, it was wonderful to be able to continue the work with the mighty Patric Ullaeus, as he understands our vision with the music and is willing to go all the way to portray the song’s inner dimensions.
I think he did that excellently with this one and I’m very proud of the result. The lyrics deal with humanity’s will and how that clashes with our consciousness, and our knowledge of our mortality. Enjoy
While main parts for The Nightmare Of Being were recorded in several different Swedish studios (drums at Studio Gröndal with Jens Bogren, guitars and bass with Andy La Rocque at Sonic Train Studio and vocals at Welfare Sounds with Per Stålberg), the album was mixed and mastered at Fascination Street Studios (Amon Amarth, Opeth, Kreator, etc.) by Jens Bogren, who previously worked with AT THE GATES on their 2014 comeback album At War With Reality. The album’s visual concept and album cover was developed by artist Eva Nahon.
The Nightmare Of Being Tracklist:
- Spectre of Extinction
- The Paradox
- The Nightmare of Being
- Garden of Cyrus
- Touched by the White Hands of Death
- The Fall into Time
- Cult of Salvation
- The Abstract Enthroned
- Cosmic Pessimism
- Eternal Winter of Reason
- Ltd. Deluxe Transparent Blood Red 2LP+3CD Artbook
- Ltd. 2CD Mediabook
- Standard CD Jewelcase
- Standard LP
- Digital Album
The album’s limited deluxe 2LP+3CD Artbook (depicted below) contains exclusive transparent blood red vinyl on 180g. and will include a 9-track live LP and CD as well as an exclusive instrumental version of the entire The Nightmare Of Being album as a bonus CD.
Furthermore, it comes with an extended 32-page booklet, a double-sided A2 poster and 4 art prints. The album’s limited 2CD mediabook comes with an extended 32-page booklet and a 9-track live CD as bonus.
Tracklisting for the 9-track live LP:
- Red (King Crimson cover, Live at Roadburn)
- The Scar (Live at Roadburn)
- Koyaanisqatsi (Philip Glass cover, Live at Roadburn)
- The Burning Darkness (Live at Roadburn)
- Daggers of Black Haze (Live in Stockholm)
- Death and the Labyrinth (Live in San Francisco)
- A Stare Bound in Stone (Live in San Francisco)
- Heroes and Tombs (Live in San Francisco)
- The Night Eternal (Live in San Francisco)
- Black LP – Unlimited
- Transparent Blue LP – 300x copies via CM Webshop and CM Distro Europe
- Bright Gold-Deep Blood Red Splattered LP – 500x copies via Amazon Germany
- Sky Blue – 300x copies via EMP
- White LP – 300x copies via Nuclear Blast
- Bright gold LP – 300x copies via Supreme Chaos
- Lilac – 300x copies via Napalm Records
- Silver LP – 300x copies via Bengans / Sweden
- Transparent Petrol Green – 300x copies via Eyesore Merch / UK
- Bone Colored LP – 500x copies via Indie Stores / CM USA
- Black Ice LP – 300x copies via CM Webshop USA
- Ultra Clear LP – 300x copies via Revolver USA
- Tan Colored LP – 300x copies via Decibel USA